I recently did a presentation for a group of high school parents on social media use. Instead of focusing on their children, I began by asking parents about their own use of social media sites like Instagram and Facebook. As a counselor, I believe my reflections on this experience might be helpful to other practitioners when working with adolescent clients or their parents. To begin our discussion, I asked the following questions:
- How many of you use social media?
- How many of you have thought about changing your habits around your social media use?
- What keeps you from making these changes?
- How often do you feel pressured to post, like, or comment on someone else’s posts?
- How many of you have had similar conversations with your children?